U21 Final 2015 2pm Darver this Sunday

by louthandproud on December 5, 2015

in Club, Minor/U21

Mattock/Hunterstown and Glen Emmets combination beat Naomh Fionnbarra / O’Connells 15 points to 6 today in this years Under 21 final.


Loads of talent on show to say the least, a sort of a trial match for the county too if you look through the sides team sheets.

In the next 5 years as many as 10 players from this Sundays final could play for the Louth seniors.

10 is not that hard of a number to fathom considering 4 have already donned the red jersey at adult level.

Those 4 are Cian Doyle, Ryan Burns, Robert Quigley and Conor Grimes. 2 of each will be in opposing forward lines this Sunday.

The match itself will be decided by those 4 players above and you couldn’t possibly call it. could you?

Well worth going to Darver Sunday 2pm to witness the exciting times ahead, first hand.

REPORT HERE H/T Nicholas Butterly NF PRO
Mattock Rangers/ Hunterstown Rovers/Glen Emmets recorded a comprehensive victory over Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells in the Louth U-21 Championship Final at Darver on Sunday afternoon. Played in cold and dreary conditions both teams battled hard in tough December conditions. The game began with Jack Butterly kicking wide for the Togher/Castlebellingham lads after a good long ball in to him from Ciaran O’Brien after 2 minutes. The Collon/Hunterstown/Tullyallen men responded with a 14m free pointed by Ryan Burns a minute later after the Barrs/O’Connells defence failed to clear after a good Hugh Osborne block. Great defending from Kieran Lenihan started off a move up the field for the Togher/Castlebellingham lads which led to an equalising point from Cian Doyle via a 21m free.

Both sides traded wides within a minute as they tried to stamp their control on proceedings as Cian Doyle and Ryan Burns both missed the target. Tullyallen man and county player Conor Grimes showed his class as he made a good run through the centre from mid field and kicked a good score on 11 minutes. Hunterstown man Burns then followed this score up a couple of minutes later with a pointed free from 35 metres. The Collon/Hunterstown/Tullyallen men were gaining control in the middle third at this stage and their full forward Sean Kerr was wide from play from 21 metres on 14 minutes. Finbarrs man Conor Lenihan then made a good run and laid off to Robert Quigley however the O’Connells man was agonisingly wide. A half goal chance for Jack Butterly came to nothing on 16 minutes as did a 45 metre kick at the other end from Ryan Burns which dropped short, was slapped down and cleared. Jack Butterly was then once again wide from 21 metres on 18 minutes.

Ryan Burns another county player then showed his class with a lovely point from play curled over from the right wing. At this stage the Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells side lost their wind forward Chris McGlynn who went over on his ankle when contesting a kick-out and he was replaced by Michael McArdle on 20 minutes. Hunterstown clubman Glen Matthews was then wide with an effort from the left wing however a minute later he found his groove with a point from play about 30 metres out from the goals. Robert Quigley responded with a lovely point from play following on from a good catch from Conor Kiernan and a fine run by Dean Corrigan. This left the score at 0-5 to 0-2 in favour of the Mattock Rangers/ Hunterstown Rovers/Glen Emmets lads.

Conor Grimes once again made a super run through the Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells defence from mid field and kicked a neat point on 25 minutes with his left boot. This score was a catalyst for a run of 4 successive points without reply for the Collon/Hunterstown/Tullyallen men. Aaron O’Brien playing on the forty made a good run down the left flank and kicked a good point from a tight angle on 26 minutes. Ryan Burns followed this up instantly with a point from 14 metres after a good catch and run from Aaron O’Brien. The South Louth lads had hit a rich vein of form and were rampant at thsi stage. However Brendan Lacey their wing back missed a gilt edged goal chance on 30 minutes, hitting the post, after a tidy lay off from Ryan Burns. They quickly re-grouped and Glen Matthews kicked the score of the half on the stroke of half time with an excellent point from 40 metres.

This left the Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells hanging on to the coat tails of Mattock Rangers/ Hunterstown Rovers/Glen Emmets. The Collon/Hunterstown/Tullyallen were on top throughout, especially at midfield and only for some good defending and a couple of bad misses they would have been further in front. The Togher/Castlebellingham were struggling to find their form from the previous rounds of the competition and their key forwards struggled to get into the game. The long, direct balls that worked previously were swept up by the extra man at the back of the Collon/Hunterstown/Tullyallen defence. Half time score: Mattock Rangers/ Hunterstown Rovers/Glen Emmets 0-9(9) Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells 0-2(2).

The South Louth lads began the second half where they left off with another great point from their winger Glen Matthews from 30 metres. However, as was expected for a team in the final the men from Togher/Castlebellingham came fighting with 2 points in a row. The first, from Ciaran O’Brien after a Cian Doyle lay off and the second a good score by Robert Quigley, to reduce the lead to 6 points. Dean Corrigan was then unlcky with an attempt at a point which hit the bar and was cleared on 35 minutes. Collon man James Carragher then received a yellow card for a high tackle on Robert Quigley a minute later. Both Terry Donegan and Aaron O’Brien kicked wides in succession for Mattock Rangers/ Hunertstown Rovers/Glen Emmets as good defending by the Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells defence kept them at bay with Kieran Lenihan in particular to the fore. Conor Grimes then kicked an excellent point from the right wing after 39 minutes.

Aaron O’Brien was well wide a couple of minutes later but this was easily forgotten as Sean Kerr landed a superb score from distance from wide on the right wing on 43 minutes. At this stage Cian Geeney came on for the East Louth side in place of Brendan Murphy who tried hard. At this stage the Togher/Castlebellingham lads were in dire need of a few scores however 2 wides in quick succession from Doyle and Quigley did little to aid their cause. They did redeem themselves on 49 minutes as Quigley kicked a neat point after a good pass from Doyle. At this stage the Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells lads were on top but were not converting enough scoring chances to get themselves back in the game.

Ryan Burns was then wide on 50 minutes after a swift Mattock Rangers/ Hunertstown Rovers/Glen Emmets counter attack. Robert Quigley responded with a great score from 40 metres a couple of minutes later to again reduce the lead to 6. Some good fielding by Ciaran O’Brien started a move which led to a run by Robert Quigley through the middle of the South Louth sides defence which was halted with some stout defence. A Cian Doyle goal was then ruled out as he was harshly called back for over carrying by referee David Dunne. Ryan Burns kicked a lovely point from the left wing 35 metres from goal at the end of another counter attack on 54 minutes as the East Louth side pushed forward and left themselves exposed at the back.

Jordan Bannon was then introduced for Dean Corrigan a minute later. Burns strokes over yet another free on 57 minutes 30 metres out from the right wing. Aaron O’Brien followed this up with a wide on from 30 metres. As the game was drawing to a close the Collon/Hunterstown/Tullyallen were comfortable and saw the game out with ease. Brendan Simms who defended strongly throughout for the Togher/Castlebellingham side was carried off injured on 60 minutes and was replaced by James Clerkin. Their goal keeper John McLoughlin showed that he had not caught frost bite as he made an excellent save from Mattock Rangers/ Hunertstown Rovers/Glen Emmets Jason McKeown a minute later. Fittingly top socrer struck over a 45 metre kick from straight in front of the goals with the last kick of the game.

The South Louth side were better side throughout as the men from East Louth struggled to get into their rhythm. There players had the better work rate and they had the slight edge in terms of quality also. It was a disappointing end for the Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells side who made great progress in reaching the final and the lads can be proud of their efforts. Final score Mattock Rangers/ Hunterstown Rovers/Glen Emmets 0-15(15) Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells 0-6(6).

Naomh Fionnbarra/O’Connells: John McLoughlin (OC), Patrick McGrane (NF), Kieran Lenihan (NF), Brendan Simms (NF), Conor Lenihan (NF), Hugh Osborne (NF), Micheal Cairns (OC), Ciaran O’Brien 0-1 (OC), Robert Quigley 0-4 (OC), Dean Corrigan (OC), Cian Doyle 0-1(f) (OC), Brendan Murphy (NF), Chris McGlynn (NF), Jack Butterly (NF), Conor Kiernan (OC). Substitutes: Michael McArdle (NF) for Chris McGlynn inj., Cian Geeney (OC) for Brendan Murphy, Jordan Bannon (OC) for Dean Corrigan, James Clerkin (OC) for Brendan Simms inj.

Mattock Rangers/ Hunterstown Rovers/Glen Emmets: Niall Carrie (HR), Keith Boylan (GE), Cathal Clarke (MR), Paul Taafe (HR), Patrick Taafe (HR), Terry Donegan (MR), Brendan Lacey (MR), Ryan Ward (HR), Conor Grimes 0-3 (GE), Glen Matthews 0-3 (HR), Aaron O’Brien 0-1 (MR), Conor Cassidy (GE), James Carragher (MR), Sean Kerr 0-1 (GE), Ryan Burns 0-7 (5f) (HR).

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Previous post:

Next post: