Louth Wickla match report

by louthandproud on December 30, 2018

in County

Wicklow 1-9
Louth 1-17

Louth picked up their first win of the new season in the final few days of 2018 in what was perfectly calm conditions for the refixed O’Byrne Cup encounter in Bray.

The visitors looked the hungrier of both sides and eagerly got the festive season out of their system with a comfortable eight point victory.

The result was all the more impressive as they had to do so with 14 men for majority of the contest, after Andy McDonnell picked up a red card in the opening quarter.

The hosts took advantage of the familiar surroundings to open up an early lead through midfield pair Conor McGraynor and Padraig O’Toole.

Louth quickly settled to draw level from two tidy points. Ryan Burns and defender James Craven when he joined the attack.

Despite losing McDonnell to a red card on the 13th minute, the wee county enjoyed their best period taking control of the pre season match.

Wingback John Clutterbuck got on the end of a sweeping move and received a pass from his fellow wing back Anthony Williams to accurately finish to the net.

Rory Finn did keep Wicklow in touch with a brace of scores but Louth strecthed their lead to 1-5 to 4 through a Sam Mulroy effort quickly followed by an advanced mark and free from Ryan Burns .

Louth in the ascendancy suffered a set back with Gearóid Morrisey goal entirely against the run of play. The effort itself took everyone by surprise, a thundering drive from distance denied Louth debutant goalkeeper Fergal Sheekey a precious cleansheet.

Louth resumed control with the best score of the game by Jim McEneaney while Mulroy and Burns added to their tallies before evergreen Anthony McLoughlin made it 1-8 to 1-6 at the break.

Upon the resumption the result was never in doubt as Louth upped the gears and blitzed Wicklow with six points on the spin.

Tommy Durnin notched Louth’s second advanced mark of the game while Declan Byrne added a brace from off the bench and Conor Early was rewarded with a point his impressive display deserved also.

Substitute Daniel Keane clipped over a late consolation point for John Evans men however it was fellow replacement Ciaran Downey for Louth who had the final say with two well taken scores in what was the last competitive game of the year.

LISTEN TO PODCAST TONIGHT https://soundcloud.com/wearelouth


Wicklow: Rory Finn 0-4 (2f), Gearóid Murphy 1-0, Fintan O’Shea, Conor McGraynor (f), Padraig O’Toole and Daniel Keane 0-1 each

Louth: Sam Mulroy 0-4 (1f), Ryan Burns 0-4 (2f, 1AM), John Clutterbuck 1-0, Ciaran Downey 0-2 Declan Byrne 0-2, James Craven, Anthony Williams, Conor Early Tommy Durnin (AM) and Jim McEnaney 0-1 each

Wicklow: Robert Lambert, Jamie Snell, Ross O’Brien, Tom Maher; Fintan O’Shea, Paul McLoughlin, Darragh Fitzgerald; Padraig O’Toole, Conor McGraynor; Shane Mooney, Anthony McLoughlin, Rory Finn; Gearóid Murphy, Mark Kenny, Patrick O’Connor.

Subs used: Karl Kirwan for J Snell (13),Snell for T Maher (22), Mark Jackson for R Lambert (HT), Mark Fitsimons for S Mooney (44), Niall Meldon for M Kenny (48), Daniel Keane for G Murphy (57) Michael Mangan for P O’Connor (57), Cormac O’Shea for A McLoughlin (63), S Mooney for P McLoughlin (66).

Louth: Fergal Sheekey; Hugh Osborne, Dan Corcoran,James Craven; Anthony Williams, Bevan Duffy, John Clutterbuck; Tommy Durnin, Conor Early; Conall McKeever, Andy McDonnell, Ruairi Moore; Ryan Burns, Sam Mulroy, Jim McEneaney.

Subs used: Declan Byrne for R Moore (HT), Ciaran Downey for J McEneaney (HT), Ronan Holcroft for C McKeever (42), Fergal Donohoe for J Craven (52) Niall Conlon for R Burns (52), Darren Marks for J Clutterbuck (57) Tadhg McEneaney for S Mulroy (62).

Referee: James King (Dublin)

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: